Today I decided to add some much needed TLC to our little milk house.
Rummaging around our scrap wood pile, looking for pieces of wood to making ‘something’ with, I got the idea to whip up some shutters for the front window of the milk house! I have never made shutters before, and I honestly didn’t really know what I was doing, but using my handy DIY gene, I think I did a pretty great job!
I measured , of course, twice right? I cut four boards the same length, these would serve as the main shutter, then I measured four more boards, which would serve as the cross pieces that will hold the shutters together and add the final character.
After assembled, I went over the shutter twice with Minwax Polyurethane and stain in black, let dry and attached to the milk house using wood screws.
Here is the milk house before:
Also, kind of like the book, ‘If you give a mouse a cookie,’ my projects always spiral into other projects. After building and installing the shutters, I realized the window still needed a little something more. I then got the idea for a window box planter, and was planning to build one out of scrap wood or find something cool to re-purpose into a planter, when I came across an old white cornice that I had removed from above our living room window upon moving into our house.
Perfect! I flipped it upside down, and screwed it onto the milk-house, under the window! Lined it with plastic lining, drilled in some holes, filled with dirt, robbed flowers from other planters I had, and it was complete!
See for yourself below what a difference something as simple as scrap wood and flowers can make!
I hope this gives everyone a bit of inspiration to ‘see’ things differently!
Find this project over on Hometalk.
Find me on Facebook for more DIY inspiration!