“Laugh at yourself, but don’t ever aim your doubt at yourself. Be bold. When you embark for strange places, don’t leave any of yourself safely on shore. Have the nerve to go into unexplored territory.” -Alan Alda
When I started my DIY business and blog, I said a prayer, mostly giving it all to the Lord, asking for his blessing on it, and to help me to continue to praise him in my projects and to guide my hands as I work. I feel since I ‘gave my business over to God’ that he has blessed it greatly. Just like in my photography business, where I pray before each photo shoot or adventure, before I start a project… I pray. By doing this I feel that it allows me to focus on him and that I am working for him in all things I do in my life, whether at home, or on a project for someone else.
As I transform pieces of furniture and work on projects, I also continue to feel Gods presence and a peaceful feeling in my heart, that this is what I am meant to be doing. I hope a lot of you see the passion , love and labor that goes into my projects and that each piece is a unique piece of heart.
This week on Tuesday, I went searching for a new project, and found a new ‘victim’ within 10 minutes of looking! It was a blond colored straight lined wood desk that was begging for my attention across the thrift room floor, by showing off its retro style legs while the rest of the desk was hidden among some chairs. Here it is once I cleared it out. It needed some work, but I knew I was up for the challenge.
Below is a list of how I revived this regular desk into a beautiful bold desk;
- Sanded entire desk
- Repaired back of desk with small finishing nails
- Spray painted feet of desk with Rust Oleum’s hammered spray paint
- Stained the top and the drawers of the desk and the legs of the desk with Minwax Stain + Polyurethane, Satin, in ‘Antique Walnut’ .
- Primed & Painted the rest of the desk in ‘Sunstroke’ yellow.
- Lightly stained over the yellow with ‘Antique Walnut’ by Minwax.
- Cleaned & lined the drawers with Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin maps.
- Drilled larger holes for new pulls. & added new pulls.
- Personalized the back with an inspiring quote + signature .
- Below are after photos of this bold desk makeover, enjoy!
Thanks for reading about my latest furniture revival project, if you enjoy my posts and projects, feel free to follow me on Facebook to see even more projects, ideas, tutorials and lots of inspiration.